Čekající a vyděšení Gazaňané očekávají izraelský postup ve městě, do kterého uprchli.

Petrified Gazans in the cramped southern border city of Rafah scrambled to evade bombardment on Saturday as they prepared to flee an expected Israeli ground offensive, dreading the prospect of again searching for safety in a place with few, if any, options to escape the war.

Petrifikovaní občané Gazy v stísněném jižním pohraničním městě Rafah se v sobotu snažili uniknout bombardování, protože se připravovali na údajný izraelský pozemní útok. Obávali se možnosti znovu hledat bezpečí na místě, kde je málo, ne-li žádné možnosti uniknout válce.

Israeli officials have declared that the next phase in their effort to destroy Hamas will be in Rafah, and on Friday, the office of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced that “any forceful action in Rafah would require the evacuation of the civilian population from combat zones.”

Izraelské úřady oznámily, že další fáze jejich snahy o zničení Hamásu bude probíhat v Rafahu. V pátek oznámil úřad premiéra Benjamina Netanjahua, že „jakékoliv silové akce v Rafahu vyžadují evakuaci civilního obyvatelstva z bojových zón“.

The Israeli government has not specified where the civilians would be expected to go. Rafah sits along the border with Egypt, which has so far refused to take in Palestinian refugees, fearful over its own security and worried that the displacement could become permanent and undermine Palestinian aspirations for statehood.

Izraelská vláda neupřesnila, kam by se očekávalo, že civilisté odejdou. Rafah leží podél hranice s Egyptem, který dosud odmítá přijmout palestinské uprchlíky, protože se obává své vlastní bezpečnosti a obavy z toho, že přesídlení by mohlo být trvalé a podkopat palestinské aspirace na státnost.

On Saturday, Germany, Britain, Jordan and Saudi Arabia joined an international chorus condemning Israel’s stated intention of expanding its ground invasion into the city. Aid groups, the secretary general of the United Nations and officials from the Biden administration have warned that an Israeli attack on Rafah would be disastrous.

ČÍST  Izraelský nejvyšší soud zrušil zákon o justici

V sobotu se Německo, Velká Británie, Jordánsko a Saúdská Arábie připojily k mezinárodnímu sboru, který odsoudil izraelský záměr rozšířit svou pozemní invazi do města. Humanitární organizace, generální tajemník OSN a úředníci z administrativy prezidenta Bidena varovali, že izraelský útok na Rafah by byl katastrofální.

“An offensive by the Israeli army on Rafah would be a humanitarian catastrophe,” Annalena Baerbock, the foreign minister of Germany, said in a statement on social media. “The people in #Gaza cannot disappear into thin air.”

„Útok izraelské armády na Rafah by byl humanitární katastrofou,“ uvedla na sociálních médiích Annalena Baerbock, ministr zahraničí Německa. „Lidé v Gaze nemohou zmizet do vzduchu.“

Britain’s foreign secretary, David Cameron, said on social media that he was “deeply concerned about the prospect of a military offensive in Rafah.”

Britský ministr zahraničí David Cameron uvedl na sociálních médiích, že je „hluboce znepokojen výhledem na vojenskou ofenzívu v Rafahu“.

Nabil Abu Rudeineh, the spokesman for the Palestinian Authority in the Israel-occupied West Bank, on Saturday called on the United States to pressure Israel to stop what he called “the genocidal massacres” of Palestinian civilians. Israel denies it has committed genocide or purposely targeted civilians. The United States has been strongly supportive of Israel since it launched the war in Gaza on Oct. 7, after a Hamas-led attack in southern Gaza. Washington sends billions in weapons and other military aid to the Israeli military.

Nabil Abu Rudeineh, mluvčí Palestinské samosprávy na okupovaném Západním břehu Izraelem, v sobotu vyzval Spojené státy, aby vyvíjely tlak na Izrael, aby zastavil to, co nazval „genocidálními masakry“ palestinského civilního obyvatelstva. Izrael popírá, že by se dopustil genocidy nebo úmyslně cílil na civilisty. Spojené státy od vypuknutí války v Gaze 7. října, poté, co došlo k útoku vedenému Hamásem na jižní Gazu, projevily silnou podporu Izraeli. Washington posílá Izraelské armádě miliardy dolarů ve zbraních a další vojenské pomoci.

ČÍST  Medaile z Pařížských olympijských her budou obsahovat fragment Eiffelovy věže.

Mr. Netanyahu on Saturday sought to soothe public concern after Moody’s, citing the prolonged war with Hamas and the effect it was having on Israel’s finances, downgraded Israel’s credit score for the first time in years. Calling the Israeli economy “robust,” he said in a statement that the damage would be reversed after the war with Hamas ends.

Pan Netanyahu se v sobotu pokusil uklidnit veřejné obavy poté, co agentura Moody’s kvůli dlouhé válce s Hamásem a jejím dopadem na izraelské finance poprvé za několik let snížila kreditní skóre Izraele. V prohlášení nazval izraelskou ekonomiku „robustní“ a uvedl, že škody budou zvráceny po skončení války s Hamásem.

The concerns — about a devastating loss of life, a disruption of humanitarian assistance and a further depletion of essential services — came as Israeli forces bombarded Rafah and other parts of southern Gaza with airstrikes, Palestinian news media reported. Multiple people were killed when Israeli airstrikes struck a vehicle and homes where displaced people were sheltering.

Obavy – o ničivou ztrátu životů, přerušení humanitární pomoci a další vyčerpání základních služeb – přišly ve chvíli, kdy izraelské síly bombardovaly Rafah a další části jižní Gazy leteckými údery, informovaly palestinská zpravodajská média. Při izraelských leteckých úderech zahynulo několik lidí, když zasáhly vozidlo a domy, ve kterých se ukrývali uprchlíci.

The continued airstrikes have terrified the more than half of Gaza’s 2.2 million people who have taken shelter in Rafah during four months of Israeli bombardment and warnings by the Israeli military to flee south. They have fled fighting and destruction elsewhere to pack themselves into a city where finding enough food, water and medicine has become a daily struggle.

ČÍST  Protestující vtrhli do izraelského parlamentu, roste hněv nad zajetými v Gaze.

Pokračující letecké údery vyděsily více než polovinu 2,2 milionu obyvatel Gazy, kteří se během čtyř měsíců izraelského bombardování a varování izraelské armády o útěku na jih schovávali v Rafahu. Uprchlíci odešli z bojů a zničení jinde, aby se nacpali do města, kde je denně bojem najít dostatek jídla, vody a léků.

Rents have skyrocketed, and multiple families share small apartments. Tent camps have taken over most open areas. Food and fuel have become so scarce that some people have taken to burning old clothes and pages from books to heat canned beans and bake flatbread.

Nájemné vystřelilo do nebe a několik rodin sdílí malé byty. Stanové tábory obsadily většinu otevřených prostor. Jídlo a palivo se staly tak vzácnými, že někteří lidé začali vypalovat staré oblečení a stránky z knih, aby zahřáli konzervované fazole a upekli chléb.

Already, the overcrowding has taxed the area’s resources, and newly displaced Gazans continue to arrive as fighting rages on in the city of Khan Younis to the north.

Přeplnění již zatěžuje zdroje oblasti a nově vysídlení Palestinci nadále přicházejí, zatímco boje pokračují ve městě Khan Júnis na severu.

“It is very bad; the hygiene level is very low,” said Fathi Abu Snema, 45, who has been sheltering with his family in a U.N. school in Rafah since early in the war. “Here we eat only canned food, which is anything but healthy. Everything else is very expensive.”

„Je to velmi špatné, hygienická úroveň je velmi nízká,“ řekl Fathi Abu Snema, 45, který se se svou rodinou ukrývá v škole OSN v Rafahu od začátku války. „Tady jíme pouze konzervované potraviny, což je všechno jen nezdravé. Vše ostatní je velmi drahé.“

He feared that many would die if Israel invaded Rafah